The Town of Hamburg is ranked third out of 18,000 sites nationally for hosting AARP senior driving classes.
“Hamburg has been very active with their seniors,” said Neil Ross, driver safety instructor for Hamburg’s AARP driving class program.
He said the town offered 39 courses last year that reached 994 drivers, better than all but two AARP sites in the country.
The Hamburg Senior Center has supported AARP Driver Safety since 1985 by collaborating with local volunteers to host its classroom-based driving refresher course designed to help drivers 50 and over to stay safe and confident behind the wheel.
“AARP Driver Safety plays a critical role in educating drivers and helping them maintain their safety and independence,” said Julie E. Lee, vice president and national director of AARP Driver Safety. “Our initiative would not be so successful without the support of our host organizations, who generously dedicate staff time, resources and facility space to serving older Americans.”
The course is open to drivers of all ages and AARP membership is not required to take the course. For more information, visit www.aarp.org/drive.
• The Hamburg Public Library will close temporarily beginning Monday because of the construction of the addition onto the library. It is expected to reopen June 23. The Lake Shore Public Library, 4857 Lake Shore Road, will have extended its hours during this week. For information, call the Lake Shore Library 627-3017.
• The Hamburg Village Board will conduct a work session at 5:30 p.m. Monday followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• The Hamburg village Architectural Review Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall.
• The Frontier Central School Board will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Frontier Educational Center, 5120 Orchard Ave. The board plans to go into executive session in Room 204 and conduct the open session at 7 p.m. in the board room.
• The Hamburg village Economic Development Committee will meet at 9 a.m. Wednesday in Village Hall.
• The Blasdell Farmer’s Market will be open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot at Ilio DiPaolo’s Restaurant, 3785 South Park Ave.
• The Blasdell Village Board will meet at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• The 24th annual Blasdell summer concert series begins at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday with the Big Band Sounds of the Easy Street Big Band at JFK Playground on Grafton Avenue, between Avon and Allen.
• The Village of Hamburg concert series continues with the Hamburg Village Band at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Memorial Park at Lake and Union streets. The rain site is the Union-Pleasant Elementary School auditorium.
• The town Planning Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Room 7B in Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave.
• The Hamburg Farmers Market is open from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the village municipal parking lot, with entrances on Main and Union streets.