The Hamburg Village Board has changed the way the village handles dangerous and unsafe buildings.
The board approved changes in its code last Monday night and filed the new code with New York State.
The amendment allows the code enforcement officer to act on his own if he deems a building is unsafe or poses a danger to the public or its inhabitants. The Village Board would conduct a hearing, and could order the building’s demolition and removal.
Under the old law, the board had to direct the code enforcement officer to inspect a building that appears to be unsafe. Then the village would have to apply to state Supreme Court for an order of demolition.
Also, the Frontier School Board is switching to one regular business meeting per month so that it may hold a public budget work session during its first meeting of each month. Last Tuesday’s weather forced the cancellation of the budget meeting, expected to disclose budget numbers and issues the district expects to face in the 2014-15 school year.
Instead, the district is planning to hold a budget work session at 7 p.m. Jan. 21, with its regular business meeting at 7 p.m. Jan. 28. The latter meeting also could include budget presentation material. The board meets in the boardroom of the Frontier Educational Center, 5120 Orchard Ave., Hamburg.
Also this week:
• The Town Board will conduct a special meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday in Conference Room 1 in Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave., to discuss a personnel matter. The meeting will be followed by the board’s reorganization meeting at 7 p.m. Monday in the board room in Town Hall.
• The Hamburg Village Board will conduct a special meeting at 5:30 p.m. Monday. The board plans to go into executive session to discuss contract negotiations and does not plan to enact any business in an open session.
• The Hamburg Village Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 8 a.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• The Hamburg Central School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium of Union Pleasant Elementary School, 150 Pleasant Ave. The board expects to go into executive session at 6:30 and reopen the meeting to the public at 7:30 p.m.
• The Hamburg Village Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall.
• The town Conservation Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in Town Hall.