Put on your favorite concert T-shirt or dress like your favorite musical artist and get ready to “Rock Out Cancer.”
A rock-n-roll-themed kickoff celebration for Grand Island’s annual Relay for Life will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Veronica E. Connor Middle School Cafeteria, 1100 Ransom Road. There will be prizes, music and food, and 2014’s honorary survivor will be announced. The event is free and everyone from Grand Island and elsewhere is invited.
This year’s Relay for Life, which raises money for the American Cancer Society, will take place May 31 at 2 p.m. in Veteran’s Park. Over the past 11 years, the Grand Island event has raised more than $1 million to fight cancer. For more information, visit www.relayforlife.org/grandislandny.
Also this week:
• The Grand Island Recreation Department will host a free family swim from 12 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. today at the Grand Island Senior High School Pool, 1100 Ransom Road.
• The Town Board will meet Monday for a workshop meeting at 6:30 p.m. and its regular meeting at 8 p.m. in Town Hall, 2255 Baseline Road.
• The Grand Island Autism Support Group will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Realty USA office, 2139 Grand Island Blvd. Call 430-5118.
• Grand Island Senior High School will present “The Pirates of Penzance” Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Pre-sale tickets are $8, 3 for $20 and free for seniors with gold passes.
• The Grand Island Cooperative Nursery School will hold at open house Thursday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Trinity Church, 2100 Whitehaven Road. Open registration begins Feb. 1. Call 773-3670.
• The Grand island Memorial Library Teen Club will meet Saturday from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. to discuss Katie McGarry’s book “Dare You To” at the library, 1715 Bedell Road. The club is free and open to teens in grades 6 to 12. Call 773-7124.
• The Grand Island Memorial Library will host a free event, “Family Movie Afternoon” Saturday at 2 p.m. All ages are welcome, but children must be accompanied by an adult. Call 773-7124.
• The St. Stephen’s Parish Players will present “Disney’s Peter Pan, Jr.” featuring students in grades 4 through 8 Saturday at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. at St. Stephen’s, 2080 Baseline Road. Tickets are $5. Call 773-4347.