Get fired up for a chance to meet some local heroes up close and personal.
The Grand Island Fire Company will hold an open house Thursday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 2275 Baseline Road.
There will be live fire-fighting and auto extrication demonstrations, a complete display of fire and rescue equipment and a chance for kids to practice using hoses.
Also this week:
• The Town Board will hold its regular meeting at 8 p.m. Monday in Town Hall, 2255 Baseline Road. At that time, a public hearing will take place to hear citizens’ thoughts on community housing and development needs as the town considers how to spend potential allotments from a federal community development fund.
• The Tuesday Crafters club will meet at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Island Presbyterian Church, 1822 Huth Road. This week’s craft is a Frankenstein Halloween decoration.
• The One Island, One Team, One Dream to be Drug Free has cancelled its October meeting.
• The Parent Teacher Association will hold a parent information seminar about social media at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the little theater at Veronica E. Connor Middle School, 1100 Ransom Road. Kathleen Gust, from the National Center for Missing and Exploiting Children, will speak. For more information, call 867-4597.
• Senator Mark Grisanti’s office will have a representative at Town Hall on Wednesday 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. to answer questions and address concerns about state-related issues.
• The Grand Island Memorial Library will host a free class on iPad basics for adults with advanced computer skills Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the library, 1715 Bedell Road. Bring your iPad. Register by calling 773-7124.