Free six-week programs begin next month for adults and caregivers dealing with chronic illness and diabetes.
Offered by the Erie County Department of Senior Services, the peer-led programs will meet weekly. Pre-registration is required by calling 858-2177 or visiting www.ceacw.org.
Programs in chronic disease self-management will be offered:
• 5:30 to 8 p.m. Mondays, from Sept. 8 to Oct. 13, in the Commodore Perry Community Room, 279 Perry St., Buffalo.
• 9:30 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, from Sept. 10 to Oct. 15, in Autumnview Health Care, 4650 Southwestern Blvd., Hamburg.
• 1:30 to 4 p.m. Mondays, from Sept. 15 to Oct. 20, in Oak Senior Living, 8099 Sheridan Drive, Clarence.
• 12:30 to 3 p.m. Wednesdays, from Oct. 8 to Nov. 12, in Cheektowaga Senior Center, 3349 Broadway, Cheektowaga. This class is for men only.
A diabetes self-management program will be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon Fridays, from Sept. 12 to Oct. 17, in Amherst Senior Center, 370 John James Audubon Parkway, Amherst.
• Free yoga and cardio kickboxing classes are being held weekly, through Aug. 26, in parks at opposite ends of the county.
Yoga classes are held from 6 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays outside the casino at Chestnut Ridge Park in Orchard Park. Cardio kickboxing is offered from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursdays at Shelter 14 in Ellicott Creek Park in the Town of Tonawanda.
Fitness in the Parks is offered by YMCA Buffalo Niagara.