A request to operate a picnic grove behind a restaurant is on the agenda for this week’s meeting of the Elma Town Board, which begins at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Road.
The plans of American Grille owner Jay Macaluso, who’s seeking a business use permit, include a three-sided building for weddings and upscale parties on acreage behind his restaurant. While the restaurant itself is on Seneca Street in East Aurora, the majority of the land behind it is in Elma.
Neighbors of the proposed picnic area already have complained about noise from the Grille in summer, when volleyball games and outdoor music are played on the land that’s in East Aurora.
Macaluso would have to overcome a zoning issue first; the acreage in Elma doesn’t allow commercial use because it’s zoned residential.
Also this week:
• The Teens Read Group will meet at 7:30 p.m. Monday in the Elma Public Library, 1860 Bowen Road, to discuss “Water For Elephants” by Sara Gruen. The book club welcomes teens age 13-17.
• Elma Kiwanis Club will hold a dinner-business meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Elma Grill, at the corner of Bowen Road and Clinton Street.
• Lenten fish fries will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. each Friday in Elma at Spring Brook Fire Co., 70 Pound Road, and St. Gabriel’s Church, 5217 Clinton St.
• Suburban Adult Services in Elma will hold its Master Mind Dinner (formerly the Murder Mystery Dinner) and theme basket raffle from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday in Michael’s Banquet Facility, 4885 Southwestern Blvd. Quizmaster Dennis George will entertain. Call 805-1555 for tickets.
• The Marilla Conservation Board meets at 7 p.m. Thursday in Marilla Town Hall, 1720 Two Rod Road.
• Marilla United Methodist Church, 1910 Two Rod Road, will host a Corned Beef Community Dinner beginning at 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Adult dinners cost $7 and feature corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, bread and dessert; the cost is $3 for children, whose dinner is macaroni and cheese.
• A dinner meeting of Wales Kiwanis Club begins at 6:30 p.m. Monday in the Iron Kettle, Olean Road.