Town Board (elect 3)
Diane Benczkowski, D
Nicole Gawel, R, I
Stanley J. Kaznowski III (i) C, WF
Rick Maisano, R, C, WF, I
Roger McGill Jr., R, I
Tim Meyers, D
Jim Rogowski (i) D, C, WF
What to know: The third seat up for election was formerly occupied by Patricia Jaworowicz, the first woman elected to the board more than 30 years ago, who stepped down in February because of ill health.
Outside of the incumbents, some names on the ballot may be familiar to voters because of their other public roles or previous bids for office.
• Benczkowski was a Depew School Board member for 12 years. She was in the Democratic primary for town clerk in 2007 and ran unsuccessfully, as a Republican, for Town Board in 2005.
• Maisano, who was an unsuccessful candidate for Town Board in 2007, is also known for his leadership role in the Dick Urban Community Association.
• McGill unsuccessfully ran for Town Board in 2011, but previously was elected to the Bellevue and U-Crest Fire Districts boards of commissioners in the 1990s.
• Meyers is the son of former Town Supervisor Frank Meyers. In 2007, the younger Meyers was suggested as a candidate to fill a Town Board vacancy to which Kaznowski ultimately was appointed.
• Gawel is a former reporter for Metro Community News, now known as Metro Source.
She currently works as a development assistant of Friends of Night People. She is a first-time candidate who is “tired of the same families and faces running Cheektowaga and not making it a better place.”