ADVERTISEMENT

One resident died and another was injured when fire swept through a second-floor apartment above a small business in Clarence Center on Sunday night, Amherst Fire Control reported this morning.

Charles Deppa, 45, was found unconscious in the living room of the apartment at 5961 Goodrich Road after firefighters were called to the building shortly before 9 p.m. Rescuers were unable to revive him and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Denise Hackrott, 41, also was unconscious when she was found in a bedroom. She was transported to Erie County Medical Center, where her condition is listed as critical.

Witnesses first reported seeing the fire in the second floor of the structure, which had housed a small consignment shop on the first floor. Staff from the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation examined the fire scene this morning and determined that the fire was caused by an unattended stove and have ruled the blaze as accidental.

Damage was estimated at $80,000 to the building and $50,000 to its contents.

The Clarence Center Volunteer Fire Company was assisted by the Clarence, Main Transit, Harris Hill, Newstead, Swormville and Getzville companies.