With the start of summer concert season just weeks away, town lawmakers are moving quickly to enact a smoking ban at a popular outdoor venue.
A public hearing will be held at 6:45 p.m. Monday in Town Hall, 3301 Broadway, on a parks ordinance amendment that would prohibit smoking in the Cultural Center area of the town park on Harlem Road. The affected area includes the fenced-in area around the center, as well as Lion’s Pavilion.
For now, the ban includes traditional smoking materials such as lighted cigarettes, cigars and pipes.
Also this week:
• A meeting of the board of fire commissioners of Bellevue Fire District No. 9 begins at 7 p.m. Monday in the fire hall, 511 Como Park Blvd. The public is welcome.
• The Town Park Community Association meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Alexander Community Center, 275 Alexander Ave.
• A regular meeting of the Cheektowaga-Sloan School Board is scheduled for 8 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium at John F. Kennedy High School, 305 Cayuga Creek Road.
• The Cheektowaga Central School Board will hold a meeting immediately after the results of Tuesday’s voting are announced. Polls close at 9 p.m.; the meeting will be held in the board room at the high school, 3600 Union Road.
• Programs available to veterans is the subject of a meeting that begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Sky Harbor Community Center, 4925 Genesee St. Guest speakers will include Cheektowaga Councilman James Rogowski and Erie County Clerk Chris Jacobs. A question-and-answer period follows.