The 60th anniversary of the fire that claimed the lives of 15 students in Cleveland Hill Elementary School will commemorated Saturday by the school district.
It was shortly after 11 a.m. on March 31, 1954, when a boiler explosion caused a fast-moving fire that tore through a wooden annex where a music class was meeting. Ten sixth-graders died inside the room, where the windows couldn’t be opened, and five more died in the hospital.
Ten years ago, a memorial to the victims was unveiled. This week’s event begins at 11 a.m. Saturday in the auditorium of Cleveland Hill High School, 105 Mapleview Road.
Also this week:
• The Western New York Toy, Comic Book & Collectible Show will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today in Knights of Columbus, 2735 Union Road. Admission is $4 for adults; there’s no charge for children age 12 and younger. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Variety Club of Buffalo.
• A regular meeting of the Maryvale School Board begins at 6 p.m. Monday in the district’s administrative office, 1050 Maryvale Drive.
• The Cheektowaga Central School Board has a budget work session scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday in the board room at the high school, 3600 Union Road.
• Military veterans can obtain discount cards from several businesses from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday at the Francis J. Donovan Post 1626, American Legion, 3210 Genesee St. Veterans must bring their DD214 forms as proof of military service.
• A Lenten fish dinner and theme tray raffle will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday in Maryvale Drive Presbyterian Church, 425 Maryvale Drive. The fish dinner is $9.50 for adults and $6.50 for children age 10 and younger. There also will be a chicken meal, which costs $8 for adults and $4.50 for children. Takeout is available. Call the church office at 892-4426.
• Zonta Club of Cheektowaga-Lancaster is hosting “The A, B, Cs of Zonta,” their Lucky Numbers Luncheon, Saturday in Samuel’s Grande Manor, 8750 Main St., Clarence. Prize viewing begins at 10 a.m. and lunch will be served at noon. Tickets are $25; call Zonta Club at 536-2909.