A poetry reading by George Ross, a Vietnam War veteran who lives in the town, and an address by an official in the state office of Veterans of Foreign Wars will be featured at Monday’s Veteran’s Day program in Cheektowaga Town Park.
At 12:30 p.m., participants will line up at the west end of the parking lot nearest the recreation center, then proceed at 12:50 p.m. to the All Veterans Monument. Marlene Roll, a local Gulf War veteran who serves as junior vice commander of the state VFW, is the guest speaker.
Also featured will be a performance by the Pine Hill Drum & Bugle Corps. A small reception will follow at the adjacent town ice rink.
Also this week:
• A Town Board work session begins at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Council Office conference room at Town Hall, 3301 Broadway.
• The Cheektowaga Central School Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the board room of Cheektowaga Central High School, 3600 Union Road.
• The Sloan Village Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 425 Reiman St.
• The Annual Harvest Holiday Bazaar will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in Maryvale Drive Presbyterian Church, 425 Maryvale Drive. Sponsored by its Women’s Association, the event includes theme baskets, Thanksgiving and Christmas items, sewing crafts and homemade baked goods. A lunch menu also will be available.
• A Holiday Market & Craft Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Villa Maria College, 240 Pine Ridge Road. Admission is free; park in the lot outside the door.
• “Nature’s Gathering: An Evening of Art, Wine and Cheese,” will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the Father Justin Council 5670, Knights of Columbus hall, 2735 Union Road. The event is to raise money for environmental education programs at Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve. Tickets, which are $12 in advance and $15 at the door, are available at Reinstein Woods Environmental Education Center, 93 Honorine Drive. An order form can be found on www.dec.ny.gov – search for Nature’s Gathering. For more information, call 683-5959.