ADVERTISEMENT

MAYVILLE – A Halogen utility light that accidentally was left too close to combustible material was blamed Thursday for a fire about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday that destroyed a Town of Pomfret business building that housed both the West Wind Archery and a pet grooming business that was being remodeled.

The Chautauqua County Fire Investigation Team said the fire started in the east end of the building at 4893 Route 20. Nobody was in the building at the time, and there were no injuries, but the building was declared a total loss.