on August 27, 2014 - 7:56 AM
, updated August 27, 2014 at 11:32 AM
A chlorine leak caused a brief evacuation of the ADM Milling Co., 250 Ganson St., shortly after 6 a.m. Wednesday, Buffalo Fire officials said.
The elevated level of chlorine gas was detected in a chlorine storage room, and the system automatically shut down, said Jackie Anderson, company spokeswoman.
The leak sparked an alarm which evacuated the plant, said Anderson.
Once the air quality in the storage room was restored to safe levels, workers were allowed to return and operations resumed.
No injuries were reported.
Buffalo Fire Division Chief Michael Biasillo said the plant’s equipment had shut down the leak before emergency crews entered the building.
“It could have been extremely hazardous. We got lucky,” said Biasillo.
At least seven fire trucks and several ambulances were on the scene and forced the closing of Ganson and Michigan streets.
ADM produces the food ingredients, animal feeds and feed ingredients, biofuels and other products that manufacturers around the world use to provide food.