ADVERTISEMENT

A state ruling on the Buffalo Public Schools’ transfer plan for students in failing schools will be delayed until after education officials come up with plan to have the district absorb students from Pinnacle Charter School, state Education Commissioner John B. King Jr. said this morning.

King, who was visiting Erie 1 BOCES on Harlem Road in West Seneca as part of a statewide tour, said state, district and Pinnacle officials are working on plan to have the district take in Pinnacle’s 554 students. His comments followed a State Education Department announcement last week that Pinnacle must shut down after court rulings upheld the closure order originally issued in March 2012. The state cited poor test scores and other factors in refusing to renew Pinnacle’s operating charter.

With school starting next week, officials are scrambling to figure out what to do with Pinnacle’s students.

Once a plan for Pinnacle’s students has been worked out, King said, the state will issue a ruling on the city school district’s plan for the 2,200 students whose families requested transfers out of failing schools and into schools in good standing. The district has proposed a plan that would accommodate only about 300 to 500 of those students this fall.

King said a ruling on the transfer plan will be issued before school starts Sept. 5.

email: dswilliams@buffnews.com