BATAVIA – The city school district is rapidly filling up an elementary school building that had been closed this year to save money.
The former Robert Morris School, which served the city’s West Side, transferred about 400 K-6 students to three other schools, all of them on the opposite side of the city. The move aimed at savings $1 million was quietly accepted by parents despite the longer commute for their children.
Today, the school, which opened in 1929 and was named for the patriot who purchased the western part of the state from the Seneca Indians, houses four tenants involved in education and uses more than a dozen classrooms in the original school and a large addition built several years ago, as well as the basement and cafeteria.
School Superintendent Christopher J. Dailey told the School Board that the district collected $26,000 in rent during the two months before other renters moved in.
The tenants include day care and preschool, continuing education classes by BOCES, Common Core preparation instructions for teachers and a disciplinary program for students with problems such as suspension or expulsion. All of them moved from other Batavia locations.
When Robert Morris closed at the start of the current school year, sixth-graders went to the middle school, and other grades were divided between John Kennedy and Jackson elementary schools.
A playground remains open and is used by area youngsters.