Opponents of the Orchard Park Soccer Club’s proposed use of a former Freeman Road horseback riding arena for soccer training have submitted a petition with an estimated 200 signatures.
Traffic congestion, limited parking and noise from referee whistles are among the problems cited on documents submitted to the town last month, after the Planning Board recommended approval of the project in a 4 to 1 vote.
The sale of the former Quaker Field Riding School property to the club is contingent upon Town Board’s approval of its use for soccer. The Planning Board found the club use would be similar to stable use, with about 10 vehicles at a time and a 30-minute gap between practice sessions, according to Planning Board Secretary Rose Messina.
Complaints identified in the petition will be addressed in a public hearing before the Town Board next month. They include: The parking lot and driveway is 150 feet from the arena and could be a dangerous walk at night in poor lighting; the proposed driveway turnaround is not wide enough to handle a volume of traffic; vehicles may stop near the club and cause traffic hazards; the use is not in harmony with the comprehensive plan; and tall nets and noise could impair the value of surrounding properties.
Also this week:
• The Orchard Park Public Library will hold a workshop in e-Book use from 2 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at 4570 S. Buffalo Road.
• A meeting of the Orchard Park Recreation Commission begins at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the lobby of the Municipal Center, 4295 S. Buffalo Road.
• The East Aurora School Board meets at 6:45 p.m. Tuesday in executive session, followed by a 7 p.m. business meeting in the auditorium of the Middle School, 60 S. Lincoln Ave. The board also will be addressing the proposed 2014-15 budget.
• A meeting of the town’s Zoning Board of Appeals begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the basement meeting room at the Municipal Center.
• The Orchard Park Board of Fire Commissioners meets at 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Central Fire Hall, 30 School St.
• A Town Board work session begins at 5 p.m. Wednesday in the Municipal Center.
• The town’s Planning Board meets at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the basement meeting room at the Municipal Center.