East Aurora native Kaitlin Hawayek, 17, won a gold medal in ice dancing at a junior championship in Bulgaria, a distinction that earned additional honors in the State Senate last week.
Hawayek, who trains and lives in Michigan, and her skating partner, Jean-Luc Baker, who was born in England, were recognized Tuesday with help from Senator Patrick Gallivan, R-Elma.
The pair competed against teams from around the world at the International Skating Union World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Sofia, Bulgaria, in March.
This past January, they won the title of United States Junior Dance Champions.
Also this week:
• The Hubbard Film Society will show the Scrabble documentary “Word Wars” at 4 p.m. today at the Parkdale Auditorium, 141 Girard Ave. People who would like to play a 30-minute round of Scrabble before the movie are invited to arrive at 3 and bring their board game.
• East Aurora High School student Garrett Folger will be the guest soloist with the Ars Nova Chamber Orchestra at 7 p.m. today in the First Presbyterian Church, 9 Paine St.
• The East Aurora Village Board meets at 7 p.m. Monday in Village Hall, 571 Main St.
• The Aurora Town Board will hold a special meeting about the Legacy Polo Grounds housing development proposal at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Municipal Center, 300 Gleed Ave.
• The East Aurora Planning Commission meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall.
• A public hearing on the East Aurora School District budget begins at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the library at the Middle School, 430 Main St.
• The Aurora Planning Board meets at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Municipal Center.