A resolution opposing the March 28 closing of the local Social Security office is on the agenda for Monday’s meeting of the Town Board.
Councilman Steven B. Sanders sponsored the resolution, which piggybacks on a recent bill introduced by Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, which would require the Social Security Administration to halt office closings until it can prove to Congress that it has picked the right sites.
The agency announced Jan. 15 that the Amherst office, at 3131 Sheridan Drive, was being consolidated with the Buffalo office at 186 Exchange St. The 22 employees at the Amherst office will be transferred to Buffalo.
Like the congressman’s bill, the resolution by Sanders requests that field office closings be halted until the agency discloses more information about its decision-making process.
The Town Board meeting begins at 7 p.m. Monday in Council Chambers in the municipal building, 5583 Main St., Williamsville. A work session is scheduled for 3 p.m.
Also this week:
• Higgins will deliver the inaugural lecture of Daemen College’s Distinguished Leaders Lecture Series at 7 p.m. Monday in the Wick Campus Social Room, 4380 Main St. Higgins will talk about “From the Ground Up: Building a Stronger Western New York and Nation.” The lecture series is free and open to the public, although reservations are requested by e-mailing email@example.com.
• The town board’s Information Technology Advisory Committee will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the municipal building.
• A meeting of the Amherst School Board begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday in district offices, 55 Kings Highway. Topics to be discussed include updates on the Middle School, the budget and tax levy.
• The town’s Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the municipal building.
• The Williamsville School Board is holding a budget work session and public forum at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the district office boardroom, 105 Casey Road. As work continues on the 2014-15 budget, the board is seeking public input on priorities and planning. Residents are encouraged to attend.