ADVERTISEMENT

An apparent electrical problem sparked a bedroom fire that displaced seven people from their homes in an Amherst duplex late Sunday night, Amherst fire officials reported.

Volunteer firefighters from Ellicott Creek, Getzville and the North Amherst Fire Co. responded to a 10:59 p.m. alarm at 38 Berehaven Drive, just west of Sweet Home Road, between East Robinson and Tonawanda Creek roads.

Firefighters managed to contain the fire in the second-floor bedroom on the right side of the duplex, Ellicott Creek Fire Chief Dave DeMeester said.

No injuries were reported, but the Red Cross was called to assist seven occupants.

Fire officials also said that smoke detectors were present in the building, but did not have batteries.