on October 22, 2013 - 12:22 PM
, updated October 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM
William P. Hanley Jr.
Candidate for West Seneca Town Board
Lines on Ballot: Democratic, Working Families
Number of years living in town: 24
Occupation/Employer: management/National Fuel Gas
Top campaign platform agendas;
• Responsible and controlled spending;
• Reduce taxes – find relief for residents;
• Improved neighborhoods – bank-owned houses, absentee landlords;
• Website postings for job openings; and
• Honest, efficient and open government.
Biggest issues facing the town:
1. Taxes – West Seneca has one of the highest tax rates and total taxes of all towns in Erie County.
2. Sewers – Ignored sewers have resulted in the state Department of Environmental Conservation issuing a consent order forcing the town to make immediate repairs costing an estimated $40 million.
3. Controlled spending – Rarely has an annual budget asked for a reduction in any line items.
4. Rats – Purchase of totes has been discussed for years, while the rat population has exploded.
5. Bank-owned houses – Nearly 100 bank-owned houses without accountability for upkeep or repairs affecting the value of the immediate neighborhoods.
6. Absentee Landlords – Property owners who have turned their homes into rentals and allowed them to be neglected also affecting the value of the immediate neighborhoods – especially at the adjoining town line neighborhoods.
7. Zoning/Spot Zoning – No clear master plan causing thousands of dollars in litigation fighting residents and/or developers.