Town of Tonawanda
Town Republicans have endorsed Russell Riggio Jr. for highway superintendent, Town GOP Chairman Mark Tramont announced.
Riggio is a 13-year employee of the Erie County Highway Department as a blacksmith. He also serves as grievance chairman for labor union AFSCME 1095. Democrats in May endorsed incumbent William E. Swanson who was appointed to the job in March 2011 and won election later that year to fill the term’s remaining two years.
This fall’s ballot will include three seats on the Tonawanda Town Board, plus highway superintendent. In the Village of Kenmore, two seats on the Village Board and the job of village justice are up for grabs. All the positions are four-year terms.
Also this week:
• The Town Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Monday in council chambers at the municipal building, 2919 Delaware Ave. A work session begins at 4 in the second-floor conference room.
• The Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda School Board has scheduled a consolidation work session for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the community room of the Philip Sheridan Building, 3200 Elmwood Ave. The board will consider asking its administrative team to perform an in-depth local analysis of some consolidation scenarios.
• Kenmore’s Children’s Concert Series continues Tuesday at 6:15 p.m. at the Kenmore Middle School with Latin band Sol y Sambra. Meanwhile, the Blarney Bunch take the Brighton Arena stage Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. as part of the town’s 2013 Summer Concert Series.
• The Kenmore Village Board meets at 8 p.m. Tuesday in Council Chambers at the municipal building. A work session begins at 8 in the mayor’s office.
• The Town Planning Board will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the municipal building.
• The Lincoln Park Playground Carnival will be held Friday starting at 4 p.m. featuring a bounce house, climbing wall, video games, food vendors and live music.