• Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs that use up to 75 percent less energy and last up to 10 times as long.
• Use programmable timers to turn lights on and off automatically.
• Turn off lights when you leave the room.
• Turn off or unplug electronics. Shutting down a computer at night can save as much as $10 a month.
• Limit the use of space heaters, which can cost up to $60 a month if used 12 hours a day.
• If you have an electric water heater, turn down the thermostat to 120 degrees. Use cold water for laundry.
• If you’re replacing appliances, look for Energy Star models that can use 40 percent less energy than models sold before 2001.