• Be sure to log off when using online banking or online shopping sites. Do not use public Wi-Fi to shop.
• When you go shopping, take just one credit card, said John Ulzheimer, consumer credit expert at CreditSesame.com. That way, you’re limiting any fraud issues to one card versus several, if your wallet or purse is stolen.
• Frequently check purchases on your credit card and activity in your bank account. Keep an eye out for even small charges that seem odd; that’s how crooks test if a card is live.
• Use antivirus software and real-time virus scans.
• Some card issuers, such as Discover, offer a free service called Secure Online Account Numbers, which allows card members to shop online but doesn’t reveal the account number on the Internet or allow it to be stored in a retailer’s files.