ADVERTISEMENT

O’Brien pays property tax bill

A home owned by talk show host Conan O’Brien has been removed from a Rhode Island auction after he paid some back taxes on the property.

Town officials tell the Westerly Sun that O’Brien paid his $8,000 bill Friday morning.

The property near the Westerly shore is valued at about $723,000. It was among several the town planned to auction today to settle delinquent tax bills.

O’Brien publicist Drew Shane issued a statement saying O’Brien had been unaware he owed back taxes. He blamed the problem on a clerical error that prevented the bill from reaching O’Brien’s accountant in Los Angeles.

The 51-year-old O’Brien grew up in neighboring Massachusetts and graduated from Harvard.

Mills to complete Flynn’s novel

Best-selling author Vince Flynn died just over a year ago, but his terrorist-fighting protagonist Mitch Rapp will live on in new books written by someone else, Flynn’s publisher says.

Simon & Schuster and Flynn’s estate have commissioned thriller writer Kyle Mills to complete Flynn’s unfinished novel, “The Survivor,” and to write two more books in the Rapp series. “The Survivor” is tentatively scheduled to hit shelves next year.

Similar deals have kept James Bond and other action heroes alive long after their creators. Flynn’s longtime editor, Emily Bestler, told the Associated Press that continuing the Rapp series was a bittersweet experience. Rapp was featured in 13 of the 14 novels Flynn published in his lifetime.

“But I know that this is what he would want and know that his readers will be grateful,” Bestler said.

Orchestra set for WWI tribute

Maestro Riccardo Muti will mark the 100th anniversary this year of World War I’s outbreak by leading a youth orchestra in a performance of Verdi’s “Requiem.”

The Italian orchestra conductor said in Rome on Monday that he hoped the music would serve to pay tribute to the heroes of the war “through a message of reconciliation.” Italy’s Luigi Cherubini Youth Orchestra will perform with young musicians from other countries in what Muti called an “expression of musical harmony” and peace July 6 in Redipuglia, site of a monument to World War I dead in northeastern Italy.

Prince giddy about royal heir

Monaco’s Prince Albert II isn’t holding back the superlatives when he talks about the baby that his wife is expecting later this year – his first royal heir.

He told the Associated Press in an interview that he and Princess Charlene are “overjoyed,” ‘’thrilled” and “very excited” – and that the baby is due in December.

But they are also a little nervous. Speaking at the opening of the new Monaco Yacht Club on Friday, he said they are “taking every cautious step to make sure everything goes well.”

Albert, 56, was a longtime bachelor who has acknowledged fathering two children out of wedlock. He married Charlene, a South African swimmer, in 2011.

– From News wire services