Investigators: Captain’s error led to ferry crash

NEW YORK (AP) – A captain’s error, compounded by confusing controls and lax safety regulations, led to the January 2013 ferry crash that injured 80 people in Lower Manhattan, federal investigators said Tuesday.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators said the ferry’s captain, Jason Reimer, lost control of the Seastreak Wall Street after “inadvertently” leaving the vessel running. The veteran mariner scrambled to regain control of the 131-foot vessel, but had little time and no visual or audio cues to quickly alert him to his error, investigators said. Investigators blamed ferry operator Seastreak LLC, for “ineffective oversight” and said Reimer was hampered by a lack of training. One person sustained a severe head injury falling down a stairwell.


Vehicles damaged from fallen auto parts

RAMAPO (AP) – Police said Tuesday a dump truck carrying vehicle transmission parts damaged more than 10 vehicles after dropping metal debris along a 30-mile stretch of the Thruway.

No injuries were reported following Tuesday morning’s mishap on sections of interstates 95, 287 and 87. State police said troopers followed the trail of debris to the truck and its driver, who was charged with failing to secure his cargo.

The truck was carrying transmission parts from Connecticut to New York when the rear gate opened. Crews removed debris from more than 30 miles of roadway stretching from Connecticut to the New Jersey line.


Man charged in killing of fellow deer hunter

COOPERSTOWN (AP) – A Long Island man has been charged in the shooting death of a fellow deer hunter in rural New York.

Charles Bruce was shot Nov. 16 in the Otsego County town of Westford during a hunting trip with a group that included members of the Malverne Fire Department. The volunteer firefighter, 52, died at the scene.

An indictment unsealed Tuesday charged Robert R. Gerbino with criminally negligent homicide. His attorney said Gerbino pleaded not guilty at his arraignment and was released on his own recognizance.

Prosecutors have said Bruce was walking through the woods and the shooter was in a tree.


Dog owner convicted for stabbing pit bulls

SYRACUSE (AP) – A Syracuse man has been sentenced to 60 days in jail and three years of probation for stabbing his two pit bulls with a 10-inch bayonet, killing one of them.

The Syracuse Post-Standard reported that Francis Mason, 53, was sentenced by City Court Judge Vanessa Bogan on Monday. A jury convicted him of eight counts of animal cruelty.

Defense lawyer David Zukher had asked Bogan to dismiss the charges because Mason did it to stop the pit bulls from attacking a smaller dog. Prosecutor John Jensen asked for a sentence of two years in jail, arguing that Mason should have had his dogs on a leash.