Buy News photos |
ANCHOR BAR WAS NOT BUFFALO'S FIRST WING TEMPLE:
The first Buffalo restaurant dedicated to selling chicken wings was John Young’s Wings and Things, which opened in 1964 at 1313 Jefferson Ave.
Served breaded, and whole, not divided into flats and drumettes, Young’s wings were slathered in “Mambo” sauce, a "lip-smacking, liver-quivering sauce (that) titillated our taste buds down to our toes," as then-Common Council President James W. Pitts put it. (James P. McCoy / Buffalo News file photo)