An electrical fault in a combination fan/heat lamp sparked a fire that significantly damaged a house in the Town of Tonawanda on Sunday night, police and fire officials reported.

Elwood volunteer firefighters responded to a 7:49 p.m. alarm at 200 Center Ave., south of Sheridan Drive, a few blocks west of Lincoln Park. The blaze was declared under control 28 minutes later.

The fire started in the bathroom of the lower apartment before traveling upstairs to the second-floor apartment and attic, officials said. The first-floor residents were on vacation, while a woman and two children fled from the upstairs apartment.