LITTLE VALLEY – The Cattaraugus County Legislature Wednesday voted to spend nearly $150,000 to examine the structural integrity of most of the dams in the county.
The county has 16 dams and 11 of them are in line for an inspection by T.Y. Lin International of Orchard Park. Each inspection will cost the county $13,500 for a total cost for engineering and hydraulic studies to $148,500.
The Legislature also agreed to paint four bridges before the year is out. Amstar of Western New York, based in Cheektowaga, will paint two bridges in Napoli, one for $70,150 and the other for $86,500. A bridge in Allegany will be done by Madison Coatings Co. of Orlando Park, Ill., for $46,972, while one in Carrollton will be painted by Erie Painting and Maintenance of Cheektowaga for $186,700.
In an effort to bring budget lines in county departments to a sustainable level, John R. “Jack” Searles, county administrator, said he had to bring fund transfers to the Legislature for approval.
“In my job description, I have the authority to make such transfers if they are under $10,000,” he said. “In this case, I am bound to bring the transfers to the Legislature in the form of a resolution. What you have are transfers from one line to another within department budgets. In these cases, the departments are anticipating higher needs in some lines and funds will be transferred to those lines to provide they are funded adequately.”
Finally, the Legislature voted unanimously to act as filing agents for several projects in the new round of funding from New York State. The plans would include:
• Further planning, development and marketing of the New York Amish Trail;
• Expansion and improvement of the Onoville Marina;
• Tourism-related initiatives regarding historical and cultural initiatives in the county;
• Planning for and development of a multi-use facility on county property in the Olean area;
• Infrastructure replacement or improvement on County Roads 13 and 27. Road 13 is Maple Road. It runs from Otto to the Ellicottville village line, through Otto, East Otto, Mansfield and Ellicottville. Road 27, Haskell Road, runs from Route 417 in Westons Mills to the Allegany County line near Haskell Flats, through Hinsdale and Portville.
The Legislature’s next meeting will be held at 3 p.m. Aug. 28 in Legislative Chambers at 303 Court St., Little Valley.