ADVERTISEMENT

KENNEDY – An unattended candle left burning in the first-floor family room sparked a fire that destroyed a home in the Town of Poland on Sunday evening, Chautauqua County sheriff’s officials reported.

Kennedy volunteer firefighters responded to a 6:48 p.m. alarm at 2094 Route 62, before being joined by firefighters from Frewsburg, Falconer and Kiantone. Two youths who were at home at the time escaped the fire unharmed.

The Red Cross was called to assist the displaced family. Authorities also said that some family pets were lost in the fire.