SILVER CREEK – Hanover Town Supervisor Todd Johnson and Silver Creek Mayor Nick Piccolo are prepared to sit down and look at ways to reduce police costs.

At the regular meeting of the Town Board Monday in the Town Hall, Johnson noted that Chautauqua County Sheriff Joseph Gerace has proposed substantial increases for police services over the next two years.

Town Councilman Fritz Seegert from the police committee said he does not have an answer for the large increase in costs, but he wanted to make board members aware that the increases are more than 4 percent higher than the current contract.

The Village of Silver Creek is awaiting County Legislature approval for a contract for police services with the sheriff. The matter is expected to go before legislators Wednesday.

Johnson noted that between the two contracts, costs for fuel and other costs for police services, the village and town will be spending nearly $1 million.

Johnson said he and Piccolo should sit down soon to look at a possible joint contact and other money-saving options. Both municipalities have to provide fuel for sheriff’s patrol cars when they are policing the area.

The proposed contract for Hanover is scheduled to increase from $328,060 to $341,335. The contract does not include extra coverage in the Sunset Bay area in the summer. Town Budget Officer Elmar Kiefer said annual fuel costs are about $19,000.

In other matters, County Legislator George Borrello, R-Sunset Bay, said he is coordinating a meeting with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and state and local officials for the week of July 8 to discuss dredging Cattaraugus Creek.

He said his latest information is that the Corps will pay for 59 percent of the cost and will require that local municipalities get the remaining 41 percent from sources other than federal money.

Borrello said the meeting will be in Town Hall on a date and time to be determined.

Council members agreed to a resolution of support for the Local Waterfront Revitalization Program, making Hanover the 10th of 12 communities in Northern Chautauqua County to support the program. The revitalization program will proceed with plans for regional improvements for communities with Lake Erie coastline.