Young archers have an opportunity to learn the ropes about recurves, compounds and stick or self bows during the Second Annual Hawkeye Bowmen Youth Archery Clinic.
This free program is open to boys and girls ages 10 to 15 from anywhere in the area with a parent or guardian willing to make the drive to 13300 Clinton St., in Alden on Monday evenings for sessions from 6 to 8 p.m. beginning July 1.
The six clinics go to Aug. 5, offering attendees basics in shooting, range safety, archery history, gear/equipment and plenty of time to practice on Hawkeye Bowmen’s well-designed club ranges.
Some equipment will be provided for learning and shooting use. Pre-registration is required. For more details and to sign up a youth, call Dave Reed at 685-4932.
Four Western New York archers came home with prize winnings during Empire State Senior Games competitions on June 8 at Cortland State. The day challenged shooters with steady rain and crossing winds.
Mark Erlbacher of Doc’s Archery in North Tonawanda posted the highest overall score in the tournament with 872 points of a possible 900.
Shooting 30 arrows at 60-, 50- and 40-yard ranges, Erlbacher won first place in the 60-64 age group.
Kathy Franasiak of North Tonawanda finished first in the 50-54 group, scoring 782.
David Hryn of West Seneca scored 838 in the Fingers Divison and got top honors for the 55-59 group.
Wally Krull of North Tonawanda took third place in the 70-74 group with 840.
Fish tourney times
Several angler competitions and fun gatherings are slated for the coming month. The annual 444 Invitational usually held this weekend has been canceled this year.
Here are a few events that are ready and set for area waters:
• Third Annual Hooked on the Tonawandas Fishing Tournament, Gateway Harbor and the Erie Canal, North Tonawanda, Saturday and June 30. Call 628-1247 or go to fishgatewayharbor.net.
• 23rd Annual Erie Canal Derby, prizes in six divisions for fish caught in the canal, July 3-14. Call Steve Harrington at 772-7972.
• New York Walleye Association 20th Annual AmaraCan Walleye Classic, a team tournament, Chadwick Bay Marina, Dunkirk Harbor, July 13-14. Call 692-7670, 785-8872 or 875-8148.
• Southtowns Walleye Association Kids Fishing Derby, Tifft Nature Preserve, July 20. Call 649-8202.
• Sunset Bay Walleye Shootout, July 27. Call Bob Rustowicz at 830-6394.
• Niagara River Anglers Association Smallmouth Bass Contest, Lewiston Landing, July 27. Visit Creek Road Bait & Tackle at 4419 Creek Road in Lewiston or go to niagarariveranglers.com.