The town’s volunteer firefighters and their families will be feted at today’s 24th Annual Cheektowaga Volunteer Firefighters Recognition Day in Town Park.
Special events are planned for the children, for adults and for entire families. “It’s a really fun family day for the firemen,” said Councilman James P. Rogowski, chairman of the Town Board’s Volunteer Fire Districts Committee.
The annual event also remembers firefighters who have died during the past year: Richard Bak, Richard Bryk, Ray Majchrzycki and Melvin Miller.
Ten fire companies cover the town’s approximately 30 square miles.
Also this week:
• Graduation ceremonies for Cheektowaga Central High School are scheduled for 6 p.m. today in Kleinhans Music Hall, Buffalo.
• Maryvale High School will hold its graduation ceremonies at 6:30 p.m. Monday at the University at Buffalo’s Center for the Arts.
• A work session of the Town Board begins at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the council office at Town Hall, 3301 Broadway.
• A special meeting of the Cheektowaga-Sloan School Board is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Irma Czubaj Board Room at Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, 166 Halstead Ave., Sloan.
• Disco Duck kicks off the 2013 concert season at 7 p.m. Thursday in Sloan’s Griffith Park. Concerts are free and open to the general public; bring a blanket or chair to sit on. In the event of rain, concerts are held in the fire hall, 55 Gates St.
• Summerfest 2013 is scheduled for noon to 6 p.m. next Sunday at St. Aloysius Gonzaga Church, 157 Cleveland Drive. Barbecue chicken and ribs dinners will be sold, and the annual event also features cash and theme basket raffles, arts and crafts, and a garage sale.
• Free Zumba classes are offered from 10 to 11 a.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, in the Town Park on Harlem Road. “Fitness in the Park,” presented by YMCA Buffalo Niagara and Independent Health, continues through Aug. 31.