The Frontier School District has finally sold 16.5 acres of land it owned along Lakeview Road after realizing it would not need it to build another school.
The School Board this week acknowledged a negative environmental declaration on the parcel, noting that its sale and development for a home/residential use would not have a significant adverse impact on the environment.
The board then approved selling the land to John Indelicato for $46,200.
In other action, the board also approved leasing the former Community Educational Center at 4540 Southwestern Blvd. to the Town of Hamburg for an adult day care center, senior citizen center, a pre-K program and town recreation and youth programs. The district will continue to use the gym for various events.
The lease runs from July 1 through June 30, 2032, and is closely aligned with what BOCES monthly payments had been to the district. Monthly lease payments fluctuate over the life of the lease, but begin at $4,508 and range as high as $4,725.
The board also recognized significant achievements at its last meeting of the school year.
Seniors Courtney Schmidt and Samantha Coia were each recognized by the board. Schmidt was selected as a community all-star by Independent Health. She was chosen for making a positive difference in the lives of people at school and in the community. Coia was cited for her artistic and creative talent by winning the 2013 Superintendent’s Award from this year’s Festival of the Arts in Hamburg.
• The Town Board will conduct a work session at 6 p.m. Monday in the supervisor’s conference room, followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. in the board room in Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave.
• The Hamburg village Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
•The Blasdell Farmers Market runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of Ilio DiPaolo’s Restaurant, 3785 South Park Ave.
• Easy Street Big Band will play at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in JFK playground in Blasdell.
• The group, 23 Skidoo, is scheduled to perform at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Memorial Park as part of the Hamburg village summer concert series.
• The Hamburg Farmer’s market is open from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the village municipal lot off Union and Main streets.
The All American Soap Box Derby will take place Saturday at 97 S. Buffalo St. in the village for ages 9 through 17.
Supervised activities on town playgrounds will start Tuesday. They will take place two, three or five, days per week, depending on the location, through Aug. 2.
The playground program runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day of operation and will be closed during inclement weather and lightning.