ADVERTISEMENT

WARSAW – A malfunctioning carpet-cleaning machine was blamed for a fire that caused an estimated $750,000 damage to a Warsaw business, according to Wyoming County authorities.

The fire at Warren’s Carpet Cleaning, 80 Butternut St., was reported at 2:40 p.m. Wednesday. It started when a gas-powered carpet-cleaning machine malfunctioned, the county’s Office of Emergency Services said.

Jennifer Meidenbauer owns the commercial building, which contained four vans used by the business, cleaning equipment and supplies and a garden tractor, authorities said. The building was declared a total loss, authorities added.

Warsaw Fire Chief Primo Biscaro oversaw the five-hour effort to control the fire. The battle enlisted fire personnel from 13 companies and an ambulance crew.