BOSTON — Tyler Seguin knew something had to be said.

And he was pretty sure it wouldn’t be fit for public consumption.

After the Chicago Blackhawks badly outplayed the Boston Bruins in the first period of Game Two of the Stanley Cup finals Saturday night, Seguin ditched the microphone he had been wearing as part of the TV broadcast. Then he headed back into the dressing room so the team could hash out its problems in peace.

“It was really a mix of everybody saying something,” Seguin said. “I definitely knew it was coming, so I threw my shoulder pads in the training room and put a towel over it so no one could hear what we were saying. I think we needed that team wake-up call.”

The 2010 and ’11 Stanley Cup champions were in Boston on Sunday for tonight’s third game of the best-of-seven finals (8 p.m., Ch. 5 and NBCSN). Neither team skated on the off-day, instead choosing to conserve their energy after playing 10 periods while trading overtime victories that left the series tied at one game apiece.

“It’s a lot about getting your rest,” Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith said after arriving in Boston about an hour late because of air traffic. “It’s not rocket science, you just get sleep and do as best you can and do all those little things to get ready to go.”

Chicago took the first one, winning a triple-OT thriller after 52 extra minutes. Then the Blackhawks started Game Two by sending 19 shots – to Boston’s four – at Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask in the first period to take a 1-0 lead.

“Not much needed to be said after that first period,” said Chris Kelly, who was one of the more vocal players in the dressing room. “I think Tuukka pointed out that was a pretty terrible period by our team. If it wasn’t for Tuukka, it would have been a lot worse.”

Neither Kelly nor coach Claude Julien nor any other Bruin would divulge what was said in the room.

But something snapped them out of their funk.

“Claude came in a little bit later, but I think we were all equally upset about that first period,” said Daniel Paille, who scored at 13:48 of overtime to end it. “Definitely, Claude let us know and it was a way for us to wake up. And, also, players were keeping each other accountable, too, so it was good.”

Whatever was said, the Blackhawks managed only 15 shots over the next two-plus periods to Boston’s 24. The Bruins had 50 hits – 10 by Milan Lucic – to 34 for Chicago.

“They’re in the Stanley Cup final for a reason,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane said. “It’s not like you’re going to have the momentum or dominate for three periods. Obviously, we’d love that.

“We know momentum is huge in the playoffs. You want to keep it as long as you can.”

But Blackhawks forward Dave Bolland said they relaxed after taking an early lead and dominating the first period. Another goal was disallowed when the referee lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle moments before it rolled into the goal.

“You always have to have your foot on the gas against this team,” Bolland said. “They’re a physical team. You see the guys they have. They’re a big team and they play hard and they’re going to hit, so you’ve got to be ready for that.”

“It had nothing to do with them turning it on; we just started letting them do whatever they wanted to and we gave them chance after chance,” Jonathan Toews added. “In the overtime period we were turning pucks over and they had their way.”

Chicago coach Joel Quenneville said he didn’t think the team lost momentum by having an extra day off before Game One on Wednesday and Game Two on Saturday.

“We had a great first period,” he said. “We did everything we wanted except get to two” goals.

“They’re back in it,” Toews said. “They have some confidence coming out of this game that we gave them. We’ll go on the road and play a team game.”

Around the rinks

• Hart Trophy winner Alex Ovechkin revealed he suffered a hairline fracture in his left foot blocking a shot in Game Six of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals against the New York Rangers and played nearly three full games with the injury.

He played in Game Seven the next night and then at the IIHF world championship days later.

“Foot is OK,” Ovechkin said on a conference call Sunday morning. “Right now I’m walking fine. I’m gonna start playing tennis soon so I’m gonna be in good shape.”

Ovechkin kept playing because he could not make the injury worse.

“I make a blocked shot. The puck broke my foot, and I played with it,” Ovechkin said. “I just played the game because it’s the playoffs.”

• Amid reports that Alain Vigneault is the New York Rangers’ choice to replace fired coach John Tortorella, the team still isn’t ready to make that announcement.

Vigneault has emerged as the favorite to land the job. A Rangers spokesman says no announcement was expected Sunday.