It was special day for U.S. Navy veteran William W. Broadbent Jr., who received his high school diploma from the Frontier School District earlier this month.
The School Board recognized Broadbent by giving him his diploma as part of Operation Recognition, a program in which school districts grant diplomas to honorably discharged veterans who served in the United States military during World War II, the Korean Conflict or Vietnam War, and had to leave school to serve in the armed forces.
Broadbent was visibly moved during the recognition and had brought his wife, daughter and some of his grandchildren with him. He is the father of five children and seven grandchildren and is semi-retired.
Board President Janet MacGregor Plarr called it “a big day.”
Asked for any comments, Broadbent had this to offer: “Keep your kids in schools. It’s very important, very important.”
In the town, Hamburg has improved accessibility to Woodlawn Beach State Park.
Town Working Crew Chief Raymond Pawlowski developed and constructed a ramp on the boardwalk over the sand dunes at the park. The ramp allows those who use wheel chairs or who have difficulty navigating the stairway to get to the beach. Sand wheelchairs are available at Pirate’s Cove Souvenir Shop.
Also at Woodlawn Beach, leagues are being formed for adult coed beach volleyball. Openings remain for Monday and Wednesday night play, with the first games of the evening to begin at 6:15 p.m. To register, call or visit the Hamburg Recreation Office at 646-5145, 2982 Lakeview Road, or check the website at www.townofhamburgny.com.
Hamburg Town Board members have hired Wendel to update the town’s parks and recreation master plan. Wendel, which will charge $50,000, was one of six firms responding to a request for proposals.
Also this week:
• The Hamburg Village Board will conduct a work session at 5:30 p.m. Monday followed by a regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• The Architectural Review Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall.
• The town Planning Board will conduct a work session at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. in Room 7B.
• The Frontier School Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday, first holding a hearing on district internet safety and internet content filtering policy. The board’s regular business meeting will follow at 7:15 p.m. Both will be held in the board meeting room of the Frontier Educational Center, 5120 Orchard Ave., Hamburg.
•The Blasdell Farmers Market runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of Ilio DiPaolo’s Restaurant, 3785 South Park Ave.
• The Blasdell Village Board will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Village Hall, 121 Miriam Ave.
• Nick Battistella will perform at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at JFK Park in Blasdell as part of the village’s summer concert series.
• Buffalo Niagara Concert Band is scheduled to perform at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Memorial Park as part of the Hamburg village summer concert series.
• The Hamburg Central School Board will conduct a special meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday at Hamburg Middle School, 360 Division St. The board plans to go into executive session at 6 p.m., then return to regular session at 7 p.m.
• The Hamburg Farmer’s market is open from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the village municipal lot off Union and Main streets.
• Fantastic Sams Hair Salon at 3812 South Park Ave. , Blasdell will donate 10 percent of children’s hair cut sales between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday to Empire Animal Rescue Society, E.A.R.S., a home-based shelter located in Salamanca.