2013 coaches baseball polls
State classification in parentheses; first place votes in brackets; LW-last week’s poll; *indicates tie. Large schools are classes AA and A; small schools are B, C and D.
School Points LW
1. Clarence (AA)  90 1
2. Lancaster (AA) 80 2*
3. Williamsville South (A) 63 4
4. Orchard Park (AA) 60 2*
5. Lockport (AA) 45 5
6. Hamburg (A) 40 7
7. St. Joe’s 37 8
8. Canisius 36 9
9. Starpoint (A) 20 6
10. Grand Island 10 NR
Also receiving votes: St. Francis 9, Lake Shore (A) 4, Niagara Falls (AA) 1.
School Points LW
1. Fredonia (B-1)  77 1
2. Tonawanda (B-1)  75 2
3. Springville (B-1) 48 NR
4. Akron 46 NR
5. Westfield (C) 36 9
6. Portville (C) 34 10
7. St. Mary’s/Lanc. 33 7
8. Albion (B-1) 26 3
9. Olean (B-1) 19 4
10. East Aurora (B-1) 18 5
Honorable mention: JFK (B-2) 14.
2013 coaches softball polls
School Points LW
1. Clarence (AA)  87 1
2. Lancaster (AA)  82 2
3. Hamburg (A-1) 69 3
4. Niagara Falls (AA) 66 4
5. Niagara-Wheatfield (AA) 55 5
6. Starpoint (A-2) 31 8*
7. Iroquois 26 10
8. Kenmore West (AA) 23 6
9. Wmsv. North* (AA) 19 7
9. Wmsv. South* (A-1) 19 NR
Also receiving votes: West Seneca East (A-1) 9, Orchard Park (AA) 3, Sacred Heart 3, Grand Island (A-1) 2.
Note: The small school softball poll was not reported to The News.
• The Section VI Track and Field Championships will be Friday and Saturday at Pioneer, with noon starts on both days.
• A power-packed week in baseball begins today with the first game of the Georgetown Cup championship series between Canisius and St. Joe’s. The teams will meet at 4 p.m. today, tomorrow and Thursday, if necessary, in the three-game series to determine the champion of the Monsignor Martin Association.
On Wednesday, the Class B-1 and B-2 championships will be played. On Thursday, there is an excellent doubleheader at Niagara Falls’ Sal Maglie Stadium with Grand Island and Williamsville South meeting at 4:30 p.m. and the marquee matchup in Class AA as Clarence and Lancaster meeting at at 7 p.m.
• The Section VI softball tournament will continue with semifinals today in Class D, C and AA. The A-1 and A-2 (4 p.m. on adjacent fields) and B-1 and B-2 (6 p.m.) finals all will be Wednesday at Sunshine Park in West Seneca. Winners advance to Saturday’s championship games at Sunshine Park (AA 4 p.m., A 3 p.m., B 5 p.m.) and Jamestown High School (C 3 p.m., D 4 p.m.).
• Monsignor Martin Association softball champion Nichols will compete for the state Catholic title today at Queens College.
• Today is a Championship Tuesday in boys lacrosse as Section VI hosts its tripleheader of finals at All High Stadium (B 3:30, C 5:30, A 8 p.m.) while the Monsignor Martin final will be at Nichols at 4 p.m. as St. Joe’s and Bishop Timon-St. Jude meet after splitting their regular season series. The Section VI champions will advance to Saturday’s Far West Regionals at St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, while the Monsignor Martin champion will play for a state Catholic title downstate on Monday.
• The Section VI girls lacrosse championships take over All High Stadium on Wednesday, with games at 3:30 (A), 5:30 (B) and 8 (C). The champions also head East for the Far West Regionals on Saturday, as Section V (Rochester) hosts a tripleheader at Eastridge.
• Some local crews will compete in the Canadian Secondary Schools Rowing Association championships in St. Catharines from Friday to Sunday.
• The New York State Public High School Athletic Association boys golf championships will be Sunday and Monday at Cornell University’s Robert Trent Jones Golf Course in Ithaca.
• The state boys tennis tournament will be at the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows Thursday through Saturday. The Section VI team consists of Harry Wang (Williamsville North), Mike Rusk (Williamsville East) and Joe Bartoli (Williamsville South) in singles and the doubles teams of August Bruno and Tommy Baldinger of Orchard Park, John and Andrew Lemar of North Tonawanda and Tony Podgorsak and Aaron Broardt of Williamsville South.
BASKETBALL: Tryouts for the Buffalo-area team that will compete in the Basketball Coaches Association of New York’s Summer Hoopsfest will be held at St. Mary’s of Lancaster on Monday and June 6 from 6 to 8 p.m. The Hoopsfest will be held in Johnson City (Binghamton area) the weekend of Aug. 2-4. Practices for those who make the team will be July 29-31. In order to try out, players must be returning to play high school basketball next season and their coaches must be members of BCANY. For more information, contact Larry Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-746-8327.
LACROSSE/GOLF: The fifth Tom Borrelli Memorial Award Golf Tournament presented by the Buffalo Bandits will be held Monday, July 1 at Holland Hills. At the fundraiser, the Borrelli Award will be presented to the top senior boys player and top senior girls player in Western New York. The golf tournament is a 10 a.m. shotgun scramble and cost is $100 per golfer. Raffle donations and souvenir program ads are being sought from local businesses. Contact email@example.com or see the Prep Talk blog for more information.
Calling all all-stars
All spring all-star teams should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as they are selected.
• Our list of the college destinations of the Class of 2013 is posted at the Prep Talk blog. Help us continue to add to the list by emailing the athlete’s name, sport, high school, college (and what level the college is; Division I, III, NAIA, etc.) to email@example.com; or send it via Twitter to @KeithMcSheaBN.
• The high school sports home page at buffalonews.com has an archive of Scholastic Spotlight and High School Extra stories, along with photos and photo galleries.
• The full 2013 Section VI football schedule is on the Prep Talk blog.
Send items of interest to Sidelines via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; by mail to P.O. Box 100, Buffalo, NY 14240 or by fax at 849-4587.