ADVERTISEMENT

ALBION – A 75-year-old Town of Carlton man was flown by Mercy Flight helicopter to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester for treatment of severe burns he suffered Friday morning when a 200-gallon gasoline tank he was trying to repair exploded outside his home.

Wesley R. Baes, of 12905 S. Hillcrest Drive, was trying to patch a hole in the gas tank with an acetylene torch at about 11:20 a.m. and mistakenly thought he had fully drained it of gas. But vapors ignited and caused the tank to explode.

He was treated at the scene by Orleans County sheriff deputies, Central Orleans Volunteer Ambulance personnel and Carlton firefighters.