The Friends of the Grand Island Memorial Library will present a review of the book, “Unbroken: A World War II story of survival, resilience and redemption,” by Lauren Hillenbrand. The book tells the true story of Louis Zamperini, an Olean native and Olympic runner who was stranded on a raft for 47 days after a plane crash who was then rescued, only to spend the next two and a half years as a prisoner of war in Japan.
The free program will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. in the library meeting room, 1715 Bedell Road. Refreshments will be served. For more information, call 773-7124.
Also this week:
• The Town Board will meet Monday in Town Hall, 2255 Baseline Road, for workshop meetings at 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and for its regular meeting at 8 p.m.
• The Grand Island Community Choir will present its spring concert tonight at 7 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church, 2100 Whitehaven Road, Grand Island.
• The VFW Post No. 9249 will host a chicken dinner Wednesday from 4 to 7 p.m. under the post’s pavilion, 2121 Grand Island Boulevard. Tickets are $8. For more information, call 773-6343.
• St. Stephen’s School will hold its open house Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. The school is located at 2080 Baseline Road. For more information, call 773-4347.
• The American Legion will hold a Mother’s Day plant sale Friday at the Charles N. DeGlopper Memorial Post No. 9249, 2121 Grand Island Boulevard, beginning at 8 a.m.