ADVERTISEMENT

Jan. 26, 1930 – May 2, 2013

Marcia Ann Hauber, of Williamsville, a major benefactor of the University at Buffalo, died Thursday in Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Amherst. She was 83.

Born Marcia Ann Stamp in Kenmore, she attended Kenmore High School, where she played basketball and volleyball.

After graduation, she worked as an administrative assistant at the Linde Division of Union Carbide for more than 10 years.

Throughout her life, Mrs. Hauber was an active member of First Presbyterian Church. She had a leadership role in the Women’s Association and management of the church.

An avid gardener, she was a member of Toby’s Garden Club.

Mrs. Hauber traveled widely in the United States and Canada as well as the Caribbean, China, Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and sites in Europe.

In the late 1980s, she was a member of one of the U.S. glasnost delegations to visit what then was the Soviet Union on a friendship exchange.

Mrs. Hauber also enjoyed spending summers in Chautauqua and was a 1988 alumnus of the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle, America’s oldest book club.

Along with her husband, J. Grant Hauber, she gave $500,000 to the UB School of Management in 2000 to help pay for construction of a state-of-the-art student center. It was the anchor investment in a larger campaign that gave birth to the Alfiero Center, the first wholly privately funded campus project in the State University system.

Her husband of 50 years died in 2009.

Surviving are a son, Grant Jr., and two brothers, Donald and Philip Stamp.

A memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday in First Presbyterian Church of Buffalo, One Symphony Circle.