ADVERTISEMENT

Two students were taken to Erie County Medical Center for treatment of burns suffered in a dormitory room fire Thursday evening at the University at Buffalo’s North Campus in Amherst, University Police Chief Gerald Schoenele reports.

The identities of the injured students, one male and one female, both residents of the room, were not released by the university.

The fire, which broke out at about 6:20 p.m., shot flames from a window on the fourth floor of Spaulding Quadrangle in the Ellicott Complex. Amherst Fire Control reported that the Getzville Fire Company contained it to the room and extinguished it in about 20 minutes.

All students were evacuated from Spaulding, but were allowed to return to rooms on the lower three floors at 9:30 p.m. About a dozen fourth-floor residents spent the night elsewhere in the Ellicott Complex.

Amherst fire officials said the fire was caused by careless use of smoking materials. Smoking is banned inside buildings at UB. Officials estimated damage at $125,000 to the building and $125,000 to the content.