Southern Erie County
The Wales Fire Company Amendment vote on firefighters’ length of service to collect benefits will be held in the Community Center/Town Hall, 12345 Big Tree Road Tuesday from noon to 9 p.m. Registered voters only. The amendment if approved will cost taxpayers $4 a year per household per year per volunteer.
There are three firemen eligible currently. It will cost the town an estimated $3600 per 65 year old volunteer firefighter affected. This will decrease as they age and their life expectancy decreases.
It is estimated on average that 1-3 firefighters will be affected per year.
Also this past week the Wales Town Board met in executive session to discuss a legal issue with Auctions International which want to increase the size of a flea market on Route 20. No action was revealed or discussed afterward.
Also this week:
• The Boston Town Board will review its agenda at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday followed by its regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Town Hall, 8500 Boston State Road.
• The Boston Zoning Board of Appeals is to meet at 7 p.m. Thursday.
• On Tuesday April 30 at 7 p.m. the Town of Elma will host its auxiliary boards including the Planning, Zoning, Conservation Advisory and Committee on Updating Multiple Dwelling Codes in a joint meeting in the Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Road.
• The Elma Town Board will meet Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Rd.
• The Elma Fire Company and Spring Brook Fire District #1 will join forces and hold a joint open house on Sunday at the Spring Brook Hall, 70 Pound Road. off Seneca St. in Spring Brook.
• On Saturday, May 4 from 9 am to noon the Elma United Methodist Church Preschool will host a garage sale at 2991 Bowen Road. A $1 bag sale will begin at 11:30 am. Admission is free.
• There will be a meeting of the Marilla Conservation Advisory Board at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Town Hall, 1740 Two Rod Road.
• A $7 Taco Buffet will be hosted by Saint Nicodemus Lutheran Church, 12029 Liberia Road, Marilla, from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, May 5.
• A Mother’s Day Chicken Barbecue hosted by the Marilla Boy Scout Troop 290 and catered by Chiavetta’s will be held May 12 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Marilla Community Center, 1810 Two Rod Road. Pre-sale tickets can be purchased for $9 at the Marilla Country Store, 1673 Two Rod Road. At the door, tickets will be $9.50. Funds will go toward supporting the scouts’ trip to Philmont, New Mexico Scout Camp.