The Town of Amherst has designated Daemen College’s Rosary Hall, a former mansion in the Italian Renaissance style, a landmark.
Built in 1912, Rosary Hall was designed by Buffalo-born architect George Cary, who also designed the Buffalo History Museum and the Pierce-Arrow administration building on Elmwood Avenue.
The structure was once owned by the Waite family. In 1948, the house was sold to the Sisters of St. Francis, who opened it as the former Rosary Hill College for women. Daemen now uses the hall as its admissions offices.
Curtis Hall, another mansion, is the other campus building in the Italian Renaissance style. It was granted landmark status last summer.