The state Department of Transportation will not lower the 40 mph speed limit on Main Street through Clarence Hollow.
The Town Board had requested a 30 mph speed limit at the urging of the Clarence Hollow Association, which hoped to encourage motorists to stop and patronize businesses. The state DOT also rejected a request to add a bicycle lane on Main Street in the hamlet, said Town Councilman Robert Geiger, at last week’s Town Board meeting.
Separately, the Town Board agreed to buy 77 acres of vacant land in Clarence Center from Carlton Thompson for up to $1 million. The land is east of Goodrich Road and west of Herr Road, between Clarence Center and Keller roads.
“If it wasn’t green space, this would be apartments or single-family houses or who knows what,” said Town Supervisor David C. Hartzell Jr.
The town does not have a specific use planned for the property. Among the ideas tossed around were preserving it as green space, using some of it to expand the adjacent Highway Department, or athletic fields. Town Board members said they wanted to act now while the property was available.
Also this week:
• The Clarence Chamber of Commerce will host a Business Round Table 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Clarence Public Library. Guest speakers Aaron Felmet, an estate and elder law attorney at Watson Bennett, and Joe Genco, a financial representative at New England Financial, will discuss estate planning in a program called, “Leaving a Financial Legacy.” The meeting is open to the public. Seating is limited; RSVP to the Chamber at 631-3888.
• The School Board will adopt a budget for the 2013-14 school year when it meets at 7 p.m. Monday at the High School, 9625 Main St.
• The Clarence Chapter of New York State Women Inc. will hold its 15th annual basket auction Tuesday at Brookfield Country Club, 5120 Shimerville Road. Prize preview is at 6 p.m., dinner is at 7 p.m., and the auction is at 7:45 p.m. The cost is $30 and includes dinner and first set of auction tickets. Prepaid reservations are required. Call 698-7741 for ticket information.
• The Planning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Town Hall, after a 6:30 p.m. work session.
• The Clarence Industrial Development Agency will meet at 8 a.m. Thursday at Town Hall.
• The “Cabin Fever 10” quilt show, presented by the Clarence Log Cabin Quilters, will be Friday through Sunday at the Town Park Clubhouse, 10405 Main St. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $5. For details, call 759-6683.
• Sweet Charlottes, a children’s activity center, will host an open house 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday at 10255 Main St., at Shisler Road.
• The Clarence Community Health Fair will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Clarence Presbyterian Church, 9675 Main St. Admission is free.