Southern Erie County
The Marilla Free Library will celebrate 100 years of service to the town next week with an open house.
The library received a charter from the state education department on April 17, 1913. and nine days later the library opened at the home of Jennie Lougee, the first librarian, where it remained for the next 23 years.
The Library will celebrate it’s centennial birthday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. with a magic show and refreshments and prizes at the small brick library on Bullis Rd. The Town Board will present the Library with a citation.
Also this week:
• The Marilla Fire Company Ladies Auxiliary will host an auction and meat raffle on Saturday, April 20 at the fire hall at the corner of West Ave. and Two Rod Rd. The doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the raffles will start at 7 p.m. A $10 admission includes food, beverages and a sheet of tickets. It is for adults only. Proceeds to benefit Wings and Flights of Hope and the Auxiliary.
• Thomas Labin was endorsed by the Republican Committee in Marilla for Town Justice.
• The Marilla Planning Board will meet Thursday, April 18 at 7 p.m. in the Town Hall, 1740 Two Rod Rd.
• The Marilla Republican Committee has endorsed Earl Gingerich Jr. as supervisor, Deborah Beats and Donald Darrow for councilmen.
• The Boston Conservation Advisory Council will meet at 7:45 p.m. Tuesday in Town Hall, 8500 Boston State Road.
• The Boston Town Board will meet to review its agenda at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, followed by a regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Town Hall.
• A representative of state Sen. Mark Grisanti, R-Buffalo, will be at Brant Town Hall, 1294 Brant North Collins Road, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
• The Eden Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the auditorium at Town Hall, 2795 E. Church St.
• The Elma Town Board will meet Wednesday at 6 p.m. for a work session. There will be a presentation on the town’s 2012 financial statement by the accounting firm of Drescher & Malicki LP. This meeting will be followed by a regular board meeting at 7 p.m. in the Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Rd.
• The Elma, Marilla and Wales Boys and Girls Club will hold their 31st annual fund raiser at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the club house 2080 Girdle Rd.
There will be three auctions. The theme is “Wild Wild West” and music, drinks, finger foods and desserts will be for the price of a ticket. Tickets and reservations can be made by calling 652-9292 for the age 21 and older event. A single ticket is $30 and a table of 10 is $250.
• The Elma Republican Committee has endorsed the following incumbents for the 2013 election: Dennis Powers, Supervisor for a second term, Councilmen Thomas Fallon and Tracy Petrocy for second terms and Wayne Clark, Highway Superintendent.
• The South Wales Volunteer Fire Department will host a Pancake breakfast and an auction Sunday, April 14 from 9 am to 2 p.m. at their hall on Route 16.
• On Tuesday, April 16 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. residents are invited to a Community Forum hosted by the Concerned Citizens Group. Bring your concerns, questions and ideas to the meeting. Representatives from the Town Board and Wales Center Volunteer Fire Co. will be on hand to answer questions.