• See fraud tips at www.westernunion.com/stopfraud and www.consumerfed.org/fraud. Or see www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0052-stopping-unwanted-sales-calls.
• You can stop unwanted sales calls by putting your number on the National Do Not Call Registry. Call (888) 382-1222 from the phone that you wish to register or go to www.donotcall.gov. On the website, you can register more than one phone number at the same time.
• It is possible to put cellphone numbers as well as landline numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry.
• Some phrases that might be a clue of a potential telemarketing scam: “You’ve been specially selected.” “You’ll get a free bonus if you buy our product.” “You’ve won one of five valuable prizes.” “You’ve won big money in a foreign lottery.”
• As for investment scams? Don’t fall for someone who tells you an investment has low risk, is guaranteed and has high returns that you can’t find elsewhere.
• Even if you don’t put your number on the National Do Not Call Registry, you always have the right to tell a company “put my number on your no-call list.”