NEWFANE – Fire caused heavy damage to a house at 2380 Lockport-Olcott Road Friday evening, Niagara County sheriff’s deputies wsaid.

Residents Jay M. and Stacie L. Hughes, who were in the house when the fire began shortly before 6:30 p.m,, left safely before police and fire crews arrived. Jay Hughes said that when he went downstairs to check on his barking dogs, he saw smoke and his porch on fire.

Dale Road resident Donald L. Geier said he was driving by when he noticed the fire and made sure everyone was out of the house. He also told deputies he extinguished flames that spread to a bush and bird feeder next-door at 2374 Lockport-Olcott.

A damage amount was unavailable. The Red Cross is assisting. Miller House Volunteer Fire Department fought the blaze, with Wrights Corners and Olcott volunteers assisting.