Getting cabin fever? Here are some tips to help you think like a tourist and find your next adventure right here at home:
• Get lost. Gas up and just start driving. You’re bound to stumble upon something new.
• Book a hotel with a pool. You’ll feel a world away, even if you’re just a mile from home.
• Grab maps and brochures from the Buffalo Niagara Visitor Center (617 Main St.). Ambassadors there can also make suggestions tailored to your family’s needs.
• There’s an app for that. Download a travel phone app, such as Goby, and get hip to what’s happening. It will point you to cool new places and tip you off to nearby events. You can also visit www.visitbuffaloniagara.com for an events calendar, lists of things to do and in-depth information about the region.
• Low bridge, everybody down! Drive along the Erie Canal route and you’ll discover all kinds of interesting little canal towns. Some are faring better than others, but all have a historic charm of their own.
• Road trip! Look to the Finger Lakes, Pennsylvania and Canada for a mini-getaway.
– Samantha Maziarz Christmann