ADVERTISEMENT

LOCKPORT – Police and firefighters were called after smoke began filling the Salvation Army Thrift Store on South Transit Road at 2:30 p.m. today

State troopers and volunteers from the South Lockport Fire Department found smoke coming from the ceiling, which was caused by a malfunctioning electric light ballast. No injuries were reported.

Town of Lockport Building Inspector Brian Belson said there was no structural damage to the store nor any damage to goods in the store, but said the store will remain closed until the electrical system can be repaired and reinspected.

“They will have to get an electrician in there to check the electrical connections and see if there are any other electrical issues,” Belson said. “We don’t know if it was just this one light or if all the lights are threatened.”