ADVERTISEMENT

LOCKPORT – A fire on the back deck at an apartment building on Oxford Lane caused about $2,000 damage to the building’s exterior Tuesday afternoon. A gasoline can on the deck reportedly was ignited by a resident’s discarded cigarette.

South Lockport Volunteer Fire Department and Niagara County sheriff’s deputies were called to the apartment building at 5720 Oxford Lane just before 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Deputy Eric S. Gieseler used a fire extinguisher to help knock down the fire on the deck and evacuated two residents, Jaime Harbridge and Nicole Stratiff. No injuries were reported.

Stratiff told deputies she threw her cigarette out the window in an attempt to throw it into an ashtray. She then called 911 when she noticed the fire.

Fire investigator Joseph Fries said the fire damaged only the exterior of the building.